Remember Me Thursday {writing to save lives} #RememberTheRescue

We received a box of Remember Me Thursday themed goodies (pictured below) from the Helen Woodward Animal Center (HWAC) in exchange for spreading the word about Remember Me Thursday and pet adoption. Momma Kat and Her Bear Cat only shares information and content relevant and of interest to our readers. HWAC is not responsible for the content of this post. 





What's "Remember Me Thursday?"
From remembermethursday.org

Remember Me Thursday® is a global awareness campaign uniting individuals and pet adoption organizations around the world as an unstoppable, integrated voice for orphan pets to live in forever homes, not die waiting for them. 

And from remembermethursday.org/about

Now going into its fifth year, Remember Me Thursday® aims to unite individuals and pet adoption organizations around the world to be an unstoppable, integrated voice for orphan pets in need of forever homes. “Millions of beautiful, adoptable pets will lose their lives in 2017,” states Mike Arms, President and CEO of Helen Woodward Animal Center. “We all come from different countries, cultures, and backgrounds, but together, we can raise our voices and share one life-saving message and literally save millions of pets on this one day.” 
In the previous four years of the campaign, 180 countries supported the movement with hundreds of thousands of individuals and more than 700 separate animal welfare organizations around the globe holding candle-lighting ceremonies of their own, spreading the message on social media, visiting the Remember Me Thursday website, or lighting a virtual candle. Celebrities such as Diane Keaton, Carrie Ann Inaba, Katherine Heigl, Pauley Perrette and dozens more have used social media to share the “opt to adopt” message and save orphan pets. In 2016, social media pet stars such as Lil Bub, Cole & Marmalade, and Tuna Melts My Heart also joined the cause.


Our story ...
One of the benefits of publishing a blog is that one has a platform for educating and making a difference in the lives of others. Usually, our way of making a difference involves using humor to brighten our readers' days and share our appreciation for our wonderful, but complexly enigmatic, felines. So many times, I've almost quit blogging - usually in response to stories of the cruelty of humanity after reading stories of cats tortured or hurt by humans - and equally galling, the unbelievable number of pets euthanized each year for lack of shelter space. According to Animal 24-7 published by Merritt Clifton, each year, over 2.7 million pets in shelters die without finding their forever home. So many beautiful souls - so much potential for companionship, love, and healing - so much love extinguished because so many humans can't appreciate it - lost to humanity for good. Why do I continue blogging? Someone needs to be the voice - someone needs to tell the story for all the lives lost each year without voices. Our blog is mostly humor - but that humor - and the deep attachment Bear and I have - is how he saved MY life. That's what I try to pass on with our blog.
The love of my rescues - Bear, Ellie, and Kitty - makes me a better person - a more loving person - a more understanding person. And that love doesn't end with their lives. I've struggled to come to terms with losing Kitty over ten years ago - but the greatest comfort is that the transformation she inspired is permanent and carries forward in my relationship with other people and cats. Kitty lives on in the way I love Ellie and Bear. She lives on for as long as I live. In the way my love reaches other people ... and more people beyond that ... her love and life is a gift that keeps on giving. The ripples of a stone thrown in a pond far exceed the original event. In the same way, pets have a way of impacting us far longer than they're with us.
With Bear and Ellie, I didn't set out to find another rescue - I wasn't considering getting another cat. Sometimes though, we're given opportunities that require a heart of courage to win out over logic and doubt. The first time I met Bear (and later Ellie), I think we both saw something in the other that we didn't realize we had. A gift of another being appreciating and acknowledging us for who we truly are - and not the narrative others created for us. We saw the beauty in the others' souls - even if we couldn't articulate that's what it meant at the time. There are few things I'm truly proud of ... but listening to Bear and Ellie when they chose me is right up there at the top. I didn't let logic or fear win ... I trusted my heart. Hard for a logical person like me - scary ... terrifying ... but I think also necessary as I continue to build my life up around my recovery from anorexia. 



What does rescue look like? Our faces of rescue ...
*** Bear ***
(2006 at about eight months old; found by me on the street).
Bear changed everything for me - transformed my life completely - taught me to accept love (which came in handy in relationship to loving myself ... and letting The Boy love me) - showed me that my parents' legacy of selfishness and self-involvement was not my own (I managed to adjust myself to Bear's needs even when it made me uncomfortable and uneasy - and he taught me how to do something other than just survive. After years subject to the cruelty of the humans around me, only this little guy was up to the job of helping me heal. Not bad for a kitty I encountered carrying the groceries in one day. Homeless, feral, stray ... whatever you want to call it ... if my life matters - so must his. To read more about Bear's adoption story (and his past as a homeless kitten) ...

*** Ellie Mae ***
(2017 at six years old; picked up by animal control and returned to the rescue who adopted her out as a kitten until our eyes met at an adoption event at PetSmart).
To read more about Ellie's adoption story ...


*** Kitty *** 
(1991 at eight weeks old after her litter was dumped at a vet's office, until 2007).
To read the post in memory of Kitty - Kitty-Kitty: Unoriginal Name, One-of-a-Kind Cat.



But for every happy ending of a forever home, there are hundreds of pets that die without ever knowing the love and safety of a forever home. There are MILLIONS of companion animals killed each year without even having a chance or a voice.



What can you do to raise awareness about the millions of pets killed each year waiting for a forever home?


One more way you can help that's very close to our hearts:
When we adopted Ellie Mae from All Paws Rescue, there was another kitty we fell in love with named Allie. She's older, very affectionate, and probably best as an only cat. I so desperately want her to find her forever home and not become one of the forgotten. She's just the kind of kitty Remember Me Thursday was meant to remember (I'm sharing her in the spirit of the day - I haven't received any other incentive - I just love her). If not this special girl, visit any rescue or shelter and you'll probably find at least a few like her. Don't let them be forgotten. For more information on Allie: Allie.

48 comments

  1. Spay and Neuter!
    Adopt, Don't Shop!
    Remember the shelter animals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a wonderful story of rescue....thank you for being an advocate

    ReplyDelete
  3. everee one oh uz iz a rescue; we noe how important thiz day iz; thanx guys
    for sharin...we hope a bazillion petz findz ther foreverz yet thiz week ~~~~~~
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent post for #RememberMeThursday thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adoptions are just the best and every critter deserves that happiness! We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great campaign...and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely brilliant and totally fantastic post. I will read no better post today and I will be reading plenty.

    Well done on a wonderful, well paced, heartfelt and beautifully put together post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore this line - " I think we both saw something in the other that we didn't realize we had. A gift of another being appreciating and acknowledging us for who we truly are - and not the narrative others created for us". So perfectly said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I struggled with how to put the feeling into words - I'm so glad I did it justice!

      Delete
  9. Apparently this is a hot topic on a lot of sites. I shared the adoption topic on 2 sites, LinkedIn and my main site https://daisymae2017.wordpress.com . I hope that all fur friends get a loving forever home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and spreading the word on Remember Me Thursday!

      Delete
  10. Today is such an important day. The world needs to understand that adoption is the only option. Every fur baby waiting for their forever home has the ability to change lives. You and I both understand that. When Truffles was taken from me in the span of 2 hours I didn't think I'd ever be happy again. Then I saw Mudpie on PetFinder and felt the same tug at my heartstrings I felt when I first saw Truffles. She had just been transferred here from western NY and I know I was meant to find her. She puts a smile on my face and love in my heart every single day and I love that she makes so many people happy in the blogosphere too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because in my head - adoption/rescue is the only option. The idea of "shopping" is so foreign. I'm surprised so many people see things differently. You are right ... Mudpie brings us so much joy and we love her (and you) :)

      Delete
  11. Adopt don't shop is also our watch phrase. Kudos to you for your rescue efforts and your ongoing commitment to shed a light on the plight of shelter pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny ... I've never thought of anything other than going to a shelter to adopt. It's disappointing that so many people aren't like that!

      Delete
  12. Beautifully said and the messaging needs to continue all year round

    ReplyDelete
  13. Things that make me go purr - this article! Thanks fur sharing Momma Kat! I love all the pictures of you with your Bear, your Ellie & your Kitty. It is a blessing that you came into each others lives when you did. What a heartfelt way of sharing why adopting has meant so much to you. Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful post! When you wrote --. The love of my rescues - Bear, Ellie, and Kitty - makes me a better person - a more loving person - a more understanding person. --Truer words were never spoken!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I struggled with how to put the feeling into words - I'm so glad I did it justice!

      Delete
  15. VIP—very important post. I pray that every cat, including Ellie Mae, will someday have a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie's one of the lucky ones. If I had one wish for the rest of the year - it'd be that Allie gets adopted. I started crying when I saw she was still waiting. And her stupid people kept the new puppy and got rid of her!! After SEVEN YEARS with her! And she's declawed in the front too. It infuriates me!

      Delete
  16. This...soooo parallels my own situation and sooo resonates with me: "Kitty lives on in the way I love Ellie and Bear. She lives on for as long as I live. In the way my love reaches other people ... and more people beyond that ... her love and life is a gift that keeps on giving. The ripples of a stone thrown in a pond far exceed the original event. In the same way, pets have a way of impacting us far longer than they're with us."..........simply beautiful..........I remember when my Angel Bobo passed and I adopted Cody two weeks later, when I felt guilty because i had lived with Bobo for 18 years, one thing that was said to me was "Bobo would want you to give the same love you gave him to another pet"......and so, that love goes on.........wonderful post! xoxo catchatwithcarenandcody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I struggled with how to put the feelings into words - I'm so glad I did it justice! We're so lucky to have friends who understand and feel the same way.

      Delete
  17. This is such an important message to get out. We were so surprised to learn how few pets are adopted from shelters or rescues. We need to change that. That's why days like this, Remember Me Thursday, is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe that statistic. So unbelievable to me that I didn't use it because it seems shockingly low. I meant to verify it and then forgot. 30% is an embarrassment.

      Delete
  18. Cats do save us and teach us so much, don't they? Allie looks so sweet...I've shared her info. I really don't understand how people could have a cat for 7 years and then hand her over to a shelter for something so obviously not her fault. It's just infuriating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. They kept the new puppy and got rid of her!! And she's declawed in the front too. It infuriates me!

      Delete
  19. Thank you for this post. It is important. There are so many; it breaks my heart. This kind of things helps it heal. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tough time with it too. I can't decide if I get more sad or more angry. We humans fail spectacularly.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful post. Thanks for spreading the word of adoption. All my furbabies have been rescues and they have all taught me something. Thank you for the comforting words you left for me on my blog and FB for the loss of Phoebe. She is very missed and will be forever loved. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Phoebe and you - and all your magnificent rescues. We're so lucky to call you our friends!

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful post! It is so true the saying "Who rescued whom?" (or who...I never know the difference!). My very first cats were two strays that wandered into our yard when I was a teenager. We had to beg my father to let us keep them, and that began my life full of cats (and later dogs). I can't imagine what my life would be like if it were not for animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even thought about life without any of my kitties. I probably wouldn't have one to be honest!

      Delete
  22. Thank you so much for this super important and wonderfully written post, Momma Kat. There are so many animals in shelters everywhere, just waiting to be loved and discovered. Thank you for rescuing Bear, Ellie and Kitty, and for advocating for Allie and so many others. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to you, we do so little ... but you inspire us with every post!

      Delete
  23. This is such a thoughtful, well expressed post. I enjoyed reading about your love for Kitty, Bear and now Ellie. Thank you for having such a compelling voice for homeless animals. I'm now going to look into Allie's story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was feeling unsure when I published this post - sure it wasn't up to the task. I'm glad that my fears were unfounded :)

      Delete
  24. Great posty. Fank you so much fur savin' lives and luvvin' even when it hurts. You're right, da luv we all share lives on furever and ever. Big hugs

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. momma believes you don't ever regret love. We're not so sure ... ~Bear Cat

      Delete
  25. Repawing this comment, 'cause fur some reason it didn't go through when I first tried last week. That is a good thing you did in promoting RememberMeThursday & #RemembertheRescue. I purr-ti-cipated by tweeting & Mom posted a photo of her white kitty before me that had been a rescue. Thanks fur sharing your heartfelt story. You & Bear were meant to be a part of each others lives & to come together when you did. You saved each other. Hugs, too, fur opening up your heart & home to Ellie. -Mew Mew!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble posting a comment, please let us know by e-mail: cats@mommakatandherbearcat.com. THANK YOU FOR STOPPING BY!